Texas Caviar is perfect for potlucks and tailgate parties. Make it ahead of time so the juices marinate and intensify flavor. Scoop up with chips or eat on own.
- 1/2 lb or 250 g dry black eyed peas/chavLi/lobia
- 1 medium onion any colour
- 3-4 stalks scallions/green onions
- 1/2 -1 rib celery
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red/orange pepper
- 3-4 tomatoes
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 2 lemons juiced
- 1 Tbsp ACV
- 1 Tbsp chili powder( seasoning)
- 2 Tbsp EVOO
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp minced garlic optional
- Soak the black eyed peas overnight or for 4-6 hours. These are less stubborn than beans, and do not need much soaking. Boil the peas until they are tender. Alternately, you can use canned black eyed peas. A note for vegetarians - be sure to check the contents/label of the can to see that they do not have bacon or ham etc.
- Drain the cooked peas and set aside to cool. You can also do this in advance and refrigerate the peas until needed.
- Chop all the vegetables - onion, green onions, celery, peppers, tomatoes. Use one whole stalk or half of the celery depending on the size and to your taste. Half a cup of celery will also give great flavour, and we do not want the celery to overpower everything else. You can use any kind of tomatoes or a can of chopped tomatoes even ( easy gets easier).
- In a bowl, assemble the peas, all chopped veggies and corn(rinsed).
- Prepare the dressing in a smaller bowl - add all the ingredients and beat with a whisk or fork until emulsified. You can either use plain or apple cider vinegar.
- Add the dressing to the peas and veggies mixture and toss lightly to mix well. Do not use excessive force to avoid bruising the peas.
- Refrigerate for 4-6 hours before serving. This gets better as it sits in the fridge and marinates.
- It will taste better the next day.
- Serve with tortilla chips and get ready to party.
- Alternate serving suggestions - a) eat as a salad on its own b) Fill in a wrap c) Top your breakfast scramble etc.