I know, I know! It’s only January and Spring seems far away. But it can’t be far behind. And this is a salad or side dish that is sure to perk you up even if there is a raging blizzard outside. It will taste best using fresh English peas and fresh corn on the cob, but you can get away with using frozen stuff too.
The star ingredient here is probably the dressing, which is made with fresh squeezed orange juice. Curry powder adds a hint of spice and exotic flavor. This salad is fat free so you can indulge in it up to your heart’s content.
Citrus Corn and peas salad is a no cook recipe, well almost. Fresh and vibrant, this is the perfect salad for spring or summer. Orange dressing is refresing
- 2 cups green peas
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 orange juiced
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup orange segments or pulp
- salt to taste
- If you are using fresh peas or corn, you will need to blanch them first. Boil a pot of water and dunk the peas/corn in the boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Prepare the dressing - Squeeze the orange along with the pulp, mix in lemon/lime juice. Add the salt, pepper and curry powder and crushed garlic. Whisk this and add to the corn and peas.
- Depending on how juicy your orange is, you may add more orange juice if needed. This salad gets tastier with time.
- Refrigerate at least overnight for the flavors to develop. Serve as a side dish, or use as filling for sandwiches or wraps.