Happy Memorial Day to you all. If you read the title of this post and are wondering what kind of fashion disaster I am committing, rest assured. The pink here does not refer to the color of my attire, but my chickpea’s costume or dress(ing).
This weekend is always long awaited because it is a long time coming after the endless dreary winter, and denotes the beginning of summer to me. This day also reminds me that its been four years since I met a lot of my friends. Folks have moved on in various ways, most have crossed the big 3 mile marker and changed their tax statuses more than once. Time has also flung us over different corners of the globe, making it more difficult to plan any reunions.
Which brings me to this quick and easy salad. Not that there is any connection here, just me reminiscing for a few minutes.
Once everything is mixed together, it gets a uniform coating from the beet juice and its all cloaked in pink. Of course, there are the inevitable stains on my clothes too 😮
- 1 can chickpeas or 1-2 cups boiled
- 2-3 boiled beets
- one onion chopped
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 red pepper diced
- Hot sauce to taste
- 2-3 tsp Mrs. Dash
- splash of vinegar and EVOO
- Assemble all ingredients in a bowl. Dice the red pepper and onion in bite sized pieces. Dice the beets in a medium dice so that they retain their shape. The more you cut them, the more 'juice' they will give away.
- Add half a cup of rinsed frozen peas for some green color. You can also add scallions, but I did not have any on hand.
- Add the hot sauce, Mrs.Dash seasoning of choice and roughly one turn of the vingear and the extra virgin olive oil.
- Season further with salt and pepper if desired.
- Mix everything and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. As with any salad, the flavours will intensify after chilling and over time.