Sarson Ka Saag is a popular Punjabi or North Indian winter recipe. Made with mustard greens, spinach and spices, serve it with ghee and Makki ki Roti or bread made with corn meal.
- 1 bunch of spinach
- 1 bunch mustard greens
- 2 medium onions roughly chopped
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardammoms
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp peppercorns
- 1 small bayleaf
- 1 tbsp ghee or butter optional
- 2 tbsp thick cream or half/half
- Pressure cook the greens as given above and drain all the water.
- Sautee the onions and spices on low heat till they are roasted and aromatic.
- Blend all the greens and onions/spices in a food processor to make a smooth paste. Transfer to a pot and simmer on low. Add water as needed. This dish is generally of a stew consistency so that it can be easily soaked into the corn/ makai roti that it is eaten with.
- After simmering the greens for 10-15 minutes, they should change colour and turn slightly dark.
- Add salt to taste and some cream or half and half. This will lend the dish some richness and also balance any remaining bitterness. You can also add butter/ghee if you want to splurge.
- Serve piping hot, preferably with Makai Roti ( Corn meal roti)