Carrots! That sweet, juicy vegetable loaded with Vitamin A. Winter time is when carrots are abundant here in Pune. You see handcarts loaded with huge red carrots and green peas – peas that are still in the pod – wherever you go. Prices are cheaper than other vegetables at 30-40 rupees per kilo. These carrots are of a different variety than the orange carrots available all year round. And they are also sweeter! And you know it is time for the Gajar ki Subzi.
Gajar Ki Subzi – Indian Carrot Coconut Stir Fry
- 3 cups carrots, sliced
- 7-8 curry leaves
- 1 tsp dehusked split black gram or urad daal
- 1 tsp split Bengal gram or chana daal
- 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1/3 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafetida
- 1/4 tsp turmeric, ground
- 1/2 tsp coriander, ground
- 1/2 cup coconut, fresh grated
- 1 dry red chili, optional
- 2 Tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- pinch of sugar
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Add mustard seeds and let them pop. Lower heat and immediately add Asafetida, turmeric, fenugreek seeds, Bengal gram and black gram. Stir until they are light brown (they burn very easily so watch this step)
- Add red chili and curry leaves.
- Stir once and add in the sliced carrots.
- Mix well so that all the oil coats the carrots and they are seared lightly.
- Add half a cup of water and cover.
- Stir periodically until cooked.
- Add ground coriander, salt and sugar. Mix well.
- Add in fresh grated coconut and mix well. Stir for a few minutes and switch off heat.
- Serve hot.
This carrot coconut stir fry is real food – made from scratch with no harmful ingredients and it can be ready in 15-20 minutes. What’s your excuse for not trying this recipe?